This basic bread recipe with fresh milled flour is so versatile! You can use the dough for your bread loaves, dinner rolls, doughnuts, breadsticks and so much more! This batch makes 2 – 1lb loaves.
When I started making homemade bread I loved the flavor! I just wished it was more of a “storebought” look and shape for normal things my family uses bread for. My friend posted a loaf of homemade banana bread in this HUGE pan and turns out it was a 2lb. Pullman Loaf Pan. It’s perfect for making a “normal” looking loaf of bread.
**If you are a more visual learner I have included a video for making fresh milled bread at the bottom of this post.**
What You’ll Need
Stand Mixer: I use a Bosch Universal Plus and it handles the whole wheat dough very well. You can use a KitchenAid, too. I ended up upgrading my KitchenAid to the Bosch so I didn’t burn it up.
Warm water: Keep it under 110 degrees F so you don’t kill your yeast.
Honey: I’ve used raw and regular honey. I prefer to just use a good local honey and I’m okay with it not being raw since it’s being baked anyway.
Sunflower Lecithin : This is an optional ingredient to make your bread super soft!
Yeast: I use Red Star Active Dry Yeast. If you buy in bulk you can store in the fridge or freezer in a plastic baggie or mason jar to preserve it.
Vitamin C powder : The recipe calls for a very small amount. It helps preserve your bread so it doesn’t go moldy in such a short time. I’ve had it last up to a week when using this and storing in an airtight container. Read about storing your bread.
Things To Use This Basic Bread Recipe Dough For
Hot Dog Buns
and really any other thing that starts with a basic bread dough recipe.
Shop This Post
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Basic Bread Recipe with Fresh Milled Flour
- Bread Pans
- Stand Mixer
- 1.5 cups warm water under 110°F so you don't kill yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower lecithin powder optional, but adds softness
- 1 tsp gluten flour AKA vital wheat gluten
- 5 cups fresh milled flour approximately 3.5 cups hard white/red wheat berries
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1/8 tsp vitamin c powder helps preserve your bread
- Combine water, oil, honey, and yeast. Let yeast activate (it will look foamy).
- Let rise in an oiled bowl covered with plastic wrap, loose fitting lid, or a dish towel until double in size. About an hour.
- Punch down dough and shape.
- Place in desired loaf pans, cover and do the second rise. (until doubled; about an hour) This will be enough for 2-1lb. loaves. I use a 2lb. Pullman Loaf Pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes. (internal temp of 190°F)
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. If you don't do this step it will be soggy.
If you try this recipe and love it, I would love if you gave it 5 stars! Thank you! Tag me on Instagram @freshmilledmama