These easy sourdough pancakes are a great way to use up some of your extra sourdough starter! They are made with fresh milled flour making the flavor even better and are sure to become a family favorite!Jump to Recipe
If you’re like me you’re always trying to find another recipe to use your sourdough starter! My kids absolutely love how much we have pancakes now that I always have some sourdough starter to use up.
What You’ll Need
Frying Pan or Griddle
Flour: I used fresh milled soft white wheat berries milled in my Komo Mio Mill.
Sourdough Starter: You can use starter or discard.
Sugar: You can use regular sugar or swap for coconut sugar.
Milk: Any kind of regular or plant based you want to use will work.
Butter: For Frying. I use a titanium ceramic coated griddle that I don’t have to use butter or oil with.
Tips For Making Pancakes
- Don’t overmix your batter. Stir until combined and that’s it. The more you mix the more dense and flat they will be.
- Make sure your skillet or griddle is preheated before putting pancake batter on. I find on my griddle I have it set at about 325 degrees fahrenheit and that seems to work best.
- Make sure there are a lot of air pockets on your pancake. Like in the picture above, but you’ll want there to be more in the middle.
- Adjust your heat as you go. We’re all using different pans, burners, appliances so you’ll get a feel for what temperature will be best for you.
Pancake Topping Ideas
- Maple syrup (If you’re not using pure maple syrup yet, do yourself a favor and try it!)
- Bananas (we’ve also fried bananas in butter to caramelize them and WOW that was a treat.)
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Whipped Cream (we make our own with a Whipped Cream Dispenser)
How To Store Leftover Pancakes
I like to make a double batch so there are extras for the fridge. We let them cool completely and then put in a ziploc bag in the fridge for up to a week.
You can freeze them for up to 3 months. Lay them out on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and freeze. Then transfer to a freezer ziploc bag.
Shop This Post
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Easy Sourdough Pancakes Made With Fresh Milled Flour
- 1.5 cups fresh milled flour soft white wheat
- 1/4 cup sugar regular or coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sourdough starter can be discard
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk any kind will work
- butter if needed for frying
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk sourdough starter, milk and eggs together.
- Start preheating pan or griddle. If using a pan med-low heat. If using a griddle 325°F.
- Whisk wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined, but don't overmix.
- If using a frying pan butter before you pour batter. If using a non stick griddle skip.
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto preheated pan or griddle. I can fit 8 on my griddle.
- Cook until you have a lot of air pockets on the top and then flip. Continue cooking until the bottom is nice and golden brown.
If you try this recipe and love it, I would love if you gave it 5 stars! Thank you! Tag me on Instagram @freshmilledmama
Try more of my breakfast recipes!