Turn the classic chicken pot pie into a skillet meal with noodles instead of a crust! Add this into your dinner rotation for your family to enjoy.Jump to Recipe
This recipe is made with homemade noodles made in my Philips Avance Pasta Machine using my fresh milled durum wheat flour. Did you know that once durum has been ground into flour it is not called durum flour, but rather semolina flour? Cool, huh?
If you don’t have the Philips pasta machine this recipe can be made with your own handmade egg noodles or a 16oz. bag of egg noodles. If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer with a pasta attachment you could also use that, but make sure to use a pasta recipe specifically for your machine and attachments.
After I started milling my own flour with my KomoMio Mill for bread and other baked goods, I thought how cool would it be to make my own pasta with fresh milled flour?!?! I’ve made pasta by hand and with a manual pasta machine, but if I was going to do this on a regular basis I wanted something more convenient.
I wanted something that made pasta shapes that I would usually buy, so I researched and landed on the Philips Avance Pasta Machine. The machine comes with at least 4 shaping discs to get you started. This will all depend on where you purchase it. It also puts fresh pasta on the table in 15 minutes from start to finish. Just make sure you start your pot of boiling water (with salt) when you start your noodle making process.
What You’ll Need
Skillet: I used cast iron. Make your sauce in the skillet and add in noodles.
Egg Noodles: Store-bought or homemade. If you’re making homemade noodles with a Philips Avance Pasta Machine make sure you read the post.
Frozen Mixed Vegetables: I like to buy mine in bulk at Costco, but any variety of frozen mixed vegetables will work.
Heavy Whipping Cream
Flour: To thicken your sauce.
Chicken Broth: I use Better than Bouillon Chicken Broth Base. If you’re making this a vegetarian dish, swap with a vegetable broth and leave out the chicken.
Ranch Seasoning or Other Preferred Seasonings
Salt + Pepper
How To Make The Pasta For The Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
I just use the basic recipe that came with the Philips Pasta Machine (pictured below), but substitute fresh milled durum wheat (semolina) flour in place of the whole wheat flour and I DOUBLE it for this recipe. So, for this recipe you’ll need:
Flour: 18oz. (500g) whole wheat flour (I use the same amount of fresh milled durum wheat flour.)
Fluid: 6.70oz. (190g) 2 eggs + water (I use the cup that came with the machine and just go up to the line it has marked)
Salt: I like to add a teaspoon of salt for flavor. If you’re feeling creative add any other seasonings to flavor your noodles.
I weigh out 500g of wheat berries before I grind and just pour the finished flour into the Philips Pasta Machine. I also add my eggs into the cup that came with the pasta machine and then add water up to the line.
Now that you have your ingredients measured out, pour your flour and salt in the pasta machine. Start your cycle and slowly drizzle in the egg and water mixture.
It will mix for 3 minutes and then start the extruding process. You will want it to look like dry, crumbly pie dough.
Before I extruded my pasta I made my sauce for the chicken pot pie noodles and turned it off and set aside until the noodles were done.
Now extrude your noodles and cook in salted, boiling water for 4 minutes. Strain, add into the sauce and enjoy!
Shop this Post
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
- Large Cast Iron Skillet for making sauce
- Large Pot for boiling noodles
- Philips Avance Pasta Machine If making homemade noodles (not completely necessary for this recipe)
If using Fresh Milled Durum Wheat in Philips Avance Pasta Machine you'll need:
- 500 grams fresh milled durum wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- water using the measuring cup that came with the pasta machine fill to the fill line with water.
- 1 tsp salt
If you don't have the pasta machine just use a 16oz. package of egg noodles.
For the sauce you'll need:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 10 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables about 2.5 cups
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp ranch seasoning mix
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
If using regular egg noodles:
- Cook your noodles with instructions on package and then add to the sauce mixture and serve.
If using the Philips Pasta Machine
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. I never measure the salt just throw in what you want.
- Mill your 500g of wheat berries. In the measuring cup that came with the machine add the eggs, gently whisk with a fork, and add water to the correct line for 2 batches and make sure it's on the side for egg + water. (Pictured)
- In your pasta machine add your flour and salt to the machine.
- Turn it on to run a cycle and slowly drizzle in your egg and water mixture through the opening on the lid.
- Then I paused the machine and made the sauce.
- Extrude and cut pasta.
- Boil for 4 minutes, drain and add to sauce.
To make sauce:
- In a large cast iron skillet melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and vegetables and saute for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Mix in the flour until it is no longer white.
- Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, ranch seasoning mix, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens. Remember to stir so it doesn't burn.
- Add in cooked chicken and noodles and enjoy!
Looking to try another fresh milled dinner recipe of mine? Try this Easy Sourdough Pizza Dough for Pizza night!